Date(s) - 12/01/2019
7:00 am - 3:00 pm
Battle of Blaauwberg Anniversary Event
Date: 12 January 2019
Time: 07:00 – 15:00
Location: Blaauwberg Farm
Description: The Friends of BCA and its partners will once again bring you an important and exciting commemorative event to commemorate the Battle of Blaauwberg of 1806. The Festival, held on Saturday 12 Jan 2019, will include many activities to participate in:
• Fun Walks – a 5 km walk for the whole family, and a more strenuous 10 km walk for the fitter ones
• A 10 km Trail Run, with some challenging spots at places
• A guided Battle of Blaauwberg walk that follows the historic route the British took as they marched forward to face the local troops under Dutch command that defended the Cape on the morning of 8 January 1806. Dave Honour, registered tour guide and Battle expert will lead the Walk providing interesting facts on the Battle and its far-reaching consequences for South Africa
• Exhibits of Battle artefacts and speakers on topics relating to the Battle of Blaauwberg. A eulogy will be held at 12h00 to commemorate those who participated in the Battle
• Canon Firing to start Runners and at Mid-Day
• Cape Town Highland Pipers and Drummer (Dukes) as well as 15 person Orchestra\Band
• Fun events for children – farm animals, a jumping castle, tractor rides etc
• Gifts to all finishers of the events, a Lucky draw, and Prizes to the first 3 males and females of the Trail Run
• Refreshment stations, etc.
The centre of the festivities will be at the historic Blaauwberg Farm (-33.735040, 18.483582), with its entrance on the M19 between Melkbosstrand and the N7. However, the fun walks, trail and guided walk will mostly take place on the Blaauwberg Nature Reserve – site of the Battle and an important biodiversity spot in the heart of Cape Town. Blaauwberg Hill offers some breath-taking 360º views from top.
Pre-entry is advisable so please go to the Home Page of www.bca.org.zawhere you will find all the information on Entry Fees, Starting times, the link to the Entry Form.
Your Entry Fee is payable when you collect your wristband at the relevant Registration desks on 6 Jan. Wristbands are required at the start of the events.
Please remember to bring:
• Entry fees (in exact change if possible please)
• Sunscreen and sun hat
• Good walking/running shoes.
All funds will go towards the Friends of BCA activities, in support of the protection and utilisation of the Blaauwberg Nature Reserve for the benefit of the general public now and in future.
Important: You will be required to sign an Indemnity Form on entry to the Farm. Please familiarise yourself with the content so long.
‘I, the undersigned hereby accept full responsibility for myself and any other person/s whom I bring onto these premises involved in the Battle of Blaauwberg Anniversary events. I accept the authority of the officials representing the City of Cape Town. I also accept that any infringement may lead to eviction from the premises and/or to prosecution.
I also accept that I and any other person accompanying me on to the premises enter our own risk and indemnify the Blaauwberg Nature Reserve (City of Cape Town), Joyce’s Dairy/Cape Farms 88, 91, 94, the Friends of Blaauwberg Conservation Area and Owner/Drivers of transport vehicles against any claim which may arise in respect of damage, loss, injury or death.’