Welcome to the Arts Town Riebeek Valley – home to some of South Africa’s most famous painters and the country’s oldest hotel, The Royal Hotel. Also known as the “Wedding Valley”, the large variety of wedding venues, beautiful natural scenery and close proximity to Cape Town, makes this a top attraction.
Located on the West Coast Way Tractor Route
Riebeek Kasteel, and its sister town, Riebeek West, are two of the oldest towns in South Africa, situated at 80 km north-east of Cape Town in The Riebeek Valley. During 1661 Commander Jan van Riebeeck initiated an inland discovery expedition under the leadership of Pieter Cruythoff. They set off in the direction of Paardeberg and on 3 February 1661 they ascended a lonely mountain and came upon the fertile vista of the Riebeek Valley. They named it Riebeek Kasteel, in honour of the Commander.
The area is a market and festival hot spot ideal if you like to travel and shop.
- Attend a number of festivals celebrating the valley’s olives, wine and art are held throughout the year with the Village Market in Riebeek West the place to go for homemade food and crafts.
- Started in 2000, the Riebeek Valley Olive Festival is one of the most popular lifestyle festivals in the Western Cape and the biggest olive festival in the country. Another festival to look forward to is the Riebeek Valley Shiraz and Art Weekend .
- Look out for the First Fridays and experience true platteland hospitality. Held on the first Friday of each month from 17:00-20:00.
- Taste olive oil or go on a guided tour of the olive oil presses. If you like the outdoors, choose from a number of scenic hiking trails, go mountain biking or try a 4×4 route.
- Create your own Olive Festival experience by booking one or more of our master classes in olive oil tasting, wine tastings, wine blendings and lots more.
- Enjoy an intimate long table experience with one of your favourite winemakers/producers where Riebeek Valley ‘farm to table’ deliciousness will be paired with exceptional local wines.
If you are an olive enthusiast, then this is the only place to be. Award-winning olive oils, olives, tapenades and beauty products are just a few of the olive products available in the valley. Do not leave town without visiting the Kloovenburg Wine and Olive Estate and the Olive Boutique for olives galore.
Tantalise your taste buds with unique and sought after wines from the Swartland terroir. Visit Allesverloren, Meerhof Winery, The Riebeek Valley Wine Co. Tasting Emporium and Kloovenburg Wine and Olive Estate for delicious wines – to enjoy on the day or an array of wines to take home with you.
Riebeek Valley is known for its culinary flair and wide range from luxury guest houses to comfortable inns.
Solo Studios has become an annual event on the South African arts calendar.
Hosted in and around the towns of Riebeek Kasteel and Riebeek West, Solo Studios is a collaboration between artists, art curators and galleries based in the area, and has been created to provide an opportunity for art collectors to visit artists in their studios to view and purchase their art. Mostly private and reclusive, the artists invite the fraternity into their personal realm for a rare intimate encounter.
Giving Back: The Olive Branch Project
‘Start where you are, with what you have, and create something new.’
The Olive Branch involves the communities of the Riebeek Valley in performing and visual-arts projects with a view to finding common ground and healing wounds. The initiative also promotes creative entrepreneurship through ongoing skills-transfer programmes which foster and develop the traits that go hand in hand with creative endeavour: determination, honesty, commitment, courage, dedication and the desire to make the world a better place for all.
As part of the Solo Studios experience, the Olive Branch is operating a pop-up space in the centre of Arts Town Riebeek Valley which provides information about the project as well as an informal exhibition and performance space for local community artists and performers.
Riebeek Valley Tourism Gallery
The creative community of the Riebeek Valley, which encompasses the twin towns of Riebeek Kasteel and Riebeek West, took the opportunity during the months of lockdown to develop the concept of what has become known as Arts Town Riebeek Valley, an umbrella platform which unites initiatives and projects which create and develop products within the cultural tourism sector.
A full list of Wedding Venues are available from the Riebeek Valley Tourism office. Firm favourites for weddings are Delsma Farm (book with Elizma Smuts on 084 581 0459) and Bartholomeus Klip.
Find Bartholomeus Klip on the West Coast Way Tractor Route. Bartholomeus Klip is an exclusive destination in the Riebeek Valley, just 25 minute drive from Riebeek Kasteel, in the Cape Winelands, located on a working sheep and wheat farm at the Elandsberg Nature Reserve. Discerning travellers will appreciate the peace and quiet in the exclusive five-bedroomed farmhouse, while families with children can enjoy privacy in the Wild Olive House & Cottage.