Your adventure outing rambles up the longest historic Bluegum tree lane in South Africa and speeds down white Atlantis sand dunes.
The Witzand Aquifer Nature Reserve was established to protect the Atlantis Aquifer, the main water supply for Atlantis, Mamre and Pella.
Atlantis was established during the 1970s by the Apartheid government and is a reminder of the strength of the human spirit that oppression cannot destroy. Atlantis is a unique fusion of industry, conservation and heritage and is internationally recognized as pioneering the underground storage of treated wastewater hereby increasing local water supplies. Of historic importance is the longest Bluegum tree lane in South Africa which forms the approach into the town from the N7, along the R304.
The Witzand conservation area consists of two priority nature sites: the Silwerstroomstrand Conservation Area and the Atlantis Dunefields. Under protection are two endangered vegetation types; Atlantis San Fynbos as well as Cape Flats Dune Strandveld. The local landscape consists of sandy beaches, rocky shorelines and outcrops, as well as mobile dunes. Among the many animals that can be found in this reserve is the globally threatened Black Harrier, the Caracal, the Steenbok, the Cape Grysbok and a variety of other mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.
The Atlantis Dunefields are not only visually stunning, they provide spectacular views of Table Mountain on clear days and are the perfect location to do some 4X4 training or sand-boarding, and regular guided adventure outings are often held here. Several tour operators offer packages that include transport, boards, wax, and guidance.
Distance from Cape Town: 48km
Where: R307, off the R27
Coordinates: 126.96.36.199 S and 188.8.131.52 E
Interesting things to do and see at Atlantis:
- Nature and conservation: Atlantis is part of the Cape West Coast Biosphere and links to Silverstream Beach making it an ecological biodiversity hotspot as it is in this area that two biomes, the Strandveld and Renosterveld, are converging
- Birding: various ponds here are located on the migratory route
- Visit Darling
- Visit West Coast National Park
- Visit culturally rich Mamre
- Camp Hill Village – community and sustainable farming tourism experience
- Visit Cape Town Ostrich Ranch
- Fun adventure tourism: Atlantis Witzand Dunes and Skydiving at the Flying Club