West Coast Shines In Lilizela Tourism Excellence Awards

Cape West Coast is playground to Thali Thali Game Lodge and Club Mykonos who have both shined in the biggest countrywide celebration of tourism excellence in South Africa: Lilizela Tourism Awards

They were among 12 Western Cape winners of the National Lilizela Tourism Awards. The awards recognise game-changers in the tourism sector.

Thali Thali received an award in the 3-star game lodge category. “We only received the news on Monday (November 19) and were totally surprised. We could not attend the function but the Lilizela Award brings great joy to our team and we will display it with pride. We would like to thank our fantastic team without whom we are mere mortals – they have superpowers to turn any stay into an unforgotten experience. We would also like to thank our loyal supporters, suppliers and the whole West Coast Community for making us the strong brand we are,” says owner Amalia Van Niekerk.

Club Mykonos marketing manager Liezl Gryffenberg says they have known about the award since September 13 when they attended the Western Cape provincial awards ceremony at Devonvale Golf Estate. “We were named as the provincial winner of the 4-star self-catering shared vacation category for service excellence. It was such a great honour to go onto the stage to receive this award, which is a first for Club Mykonos,” says Liezl. Set on Langebaan Lagoon, this lively Greek-style resort has gained valuable experience in providing superb hospitality for the past 30 years.

Liezl adds that Club Mykonos would like to dedicate the award to all their loyal customers and to all their devoted staff for their persistent efforts to provide an exclusive holiday experience and an award-winning self-catering product.

The National Lilizela Tourism Award ceremony was recently held at Times Square in Pretoria, a celebration of the country’s finest tourism businesses. The word “Lilizela” is an isiZulu word that means celebrating and praising by ululating when someone has done well. Established in 2013, the Lilizela National Awards is the biggest and only countrywide celebration of tourism excellence in South Africa. It is an initiative of the Tourism Department and spearheaded by South African Tourism to recognise and reward individuals and businesses that promote South Africa as a must-visit tourist destination.

Adjudication is based on an 80 per cent voting process by guests, their TripAdvisor rating and the remaining 20 per cent decided by a panel of judges.

The Lilizela Tourism Awards has grown each year and recognises and rewards businesses, individuals and tour operators and scenic destinations for their contribution to South Africa’s global competitiveness, and for growing tourism’s contribution towards GDP and job creation.

Winning a Lilizela Tourism award gives national recognition to establishments and raises their profile locally and around the world.

Amalia says Thali Thali has already received many good wishes on their social media platforms. “We feel that it puts us on the forefront again, and justifies our efforts toward service excellence. As the award also relies heavily on the reviews received on Tripadvisor, we are so glad that we are being recognised for keeping our customers happy and supplying them with an all-round home-away-from-home Thali Thali experience,” says Amalia.

The Lilizela Tourism Awards are adjudicated through public votes and by a panel of industry judges and audited by Nexia SAB&T.

Entry for the National Lilizela Tourism Awards is free, allowing equal opportunity for all tourism providers to participate. Further details on how to enter and the conditions of entry can be found on www.lilizela.co.za.

Find Thali Thali Game Lodge and Club Mykonos on the West Coast Way Foodie Route along the West Coast R27 Road.

Road-Trip-Southern-Africa-West-Coast-Way-Routes West Coast Way is South Africa’s road trip with the most twists. Explore a unique collection of 101 road trip stops along themed routes by planning a self-drive trip or guided tour for a nature and adventure-filled Cape West Coast vacation. The new West Coast Way “basket” of free routes on offer include the West Coast Way Tractor Route, the West Coast Way Berg Route, the West Coast Way Foodie Route, the West Coast Way Cultural Route, the West Coast Way Wild Route – as well as the newly launched Cape Way Route – all of which are designed to showcase the many attractions and activities that are already on offer on the Cape West Coast and inland areas – but may be unknown to many. For more information on West Coast Way, the other routes on offer, and the list of 101 Things to Do on the West Coast visit westcoastway.co.za or call West Coast Way on 0861 321 777. Connect with West Coast Way on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter at WestCoastWaySA.

    Book Tour

    Name (required)

    Contact Number (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Select a Tour